Powered by Blogger.

Transfer Trois



Bonjour à tous!

What a great week! Sadly it was my last week in Caen...psyche, I'M STAYING HERE! I'm officially no longer a bleu (greenie, beginner, etc). Third transfer, I'm pumped. My new comps name is elder Taylor, know nothing about him other than he is in his 14th transfer; which means he speaks french,  so I'm safe.
I'm just going to go over the week briefly, I learned some lessons this week that I want to write about and knowing me, I'll have a lot to say about my thoughts! So grab your popcorn and let's begin.

TuesdayTuesdayTuesday... yes, I remember now, WE COMMITTED CONSTANTINE TO BAPTISM!! We taught him this great lesson on baptism and receiving the gift of the holy ghost and I felt like extending the invitation and he accepted. Lots of work to do with him still, but I know he can make it. I've seen the change that has taken place in him as we've met and I know his testimony is growing each day.

Wednesday the district went to the beach for our district meeting. Never thought I'd go to the beach in my Sunday best, especially on my mission. We took our district photo and buried elder Walton and elder Egbert in the sand, as their "dying" photo. It was so hot that day. I can't even put into words, I've never felt heat like that before. But in the words of President Hinckley, "it'll be a lot hotter if you don't repent." This heat was worse than New York in the summer and that's saying something. Man, we got ice cream after we finished at the beach and it was so good. I got this melon flavor, which was the bee's knees, mhmm.  

Thursday elder Walton and I sat in the church for most of the day teaching lessons to our investigators, very nice day. We also went and got our haircuts and they look fantastic. I have no idea how to say anything about hair in french, so all I told the guy was "propre," which means clean. He did a pretty good job with absolutely no help from me. 

Friday we had a finding day and the Rouen sœurs came to our part of town. We only found two new investigators and that's fine. Elder Walton felt prompted to give the two women he found to the sœurs, so we did! I ate my first wrap in my entire life, was actually surprisingly good; I even willingly asked for tomatoes! 

Saturday elder Walton and I travelled to Bayeux to try and get in contact with an inactive, but her house didn't exist... so we looked around the town, lots of potential I think. It's about 15 minutes outside of Caen and everyone seemed much kinder than in Caen! 
Sunday - you'll hear about it in a second. Although we did have a great lunch with some members. We had steak, rice, vegetables, great meal. I'm so spoiled here, I love it.

Surprisingly my french has drastically improved this past week. How? I think I figured it out. Many members have been complimenting me on my improvement and even I have been surprised by my improvement and my increased understanding, but do I take any credit for it? Plain and simple answer is No. I've never thought that I had the mind to learn languages, it just isn't one of my strengths, there's no beating around the bush. There is only one way I could have improved so much and that is because of heavenly father. I have been praying so much to be able to understand and talk. Have I changed my study habits at all, a little but not much, but I did change something else. I stopped thinking about myself so much. I stopped worrying and stressing over what I would say, I stopped caring about making mistakes, I stopped caring about the way people look at us. I started caring about everyone around me, I started to open my mouth, I finally have begun to put everything in the Lord's hands. I'll make mistakes, I won't understand a lot, but I can continually improve on everything I do. The members are willing to help me learn the language, they don't laugh if I make a mistake, if anything they are happy I did because it means I'm trying. 
So often we look at our struggles and difficulties from such a cynical and discouraging way. We have the atonement of Jesus Christ for a reason, USE IT! He is there to help us, he Is there to carry us when we can't walk, he Is there to make the impossible possible. He suffered for all of us, for every sin, which means he knows how hard it is to learn a language and he knows what each of us is going through. 
I've really begun to love the people here. As I focus on having more charity towards all, I can capture a glimpse of how our heavenly father sees each of his beloved sons and daughters. No matter who they are, they have a divine birthright and should be given the chance to receive their eternal inheritance. Elder Walton said it's interesting that every time we are struggling, if we turn outwards and help others, then our problems seem to disappear. It is a common theme within the gospel, that as we become more like Christ and exemplify his attributes, then we become more like him and truly take hold of the improving lowers of the atonement of our savior. 

Here are a few examples of what happened to me this week when I stopped worrying about making mistakes or what to say. 

- I have been understanding and speaking more  
- I could follow along in most of our lessons 
- I translated primary for some American visitors 
- When I gave the missionary minute in priesthood I did it without thinking about what to say and without asking elder Walton for help. My mind turned french and the spirit gave me the words I needed.
- I had many conversations with the members, in which I could follow along for the most part.

As we forgot ourselves and turn outwards, our father in heaven blesses us in ways we can not comprehend. I love the quote President Hinckley's dad gave to him, while President Hinckley was struggling on his mission. "Forget yourself and go to work." Christ only thought of others and he told each of us, "what manner of men ought ye to be? Even as I am." Helping and serving others is the way to eternal salvation and the way to draw closer to your father in heaven. 

Salut,
Elder Molinari 

P.s. elder Walton finishes his mission this week, he will be on an airplane this Thursday! Crazy. He has grown to become a great friend and I am grateful for his example to me, he'll do great back home. 

New hair cut
Elder Walton and Elder Molinari with their new do crashing a wedding






No comments