Powered by Blogger.

Better Late Than Never

Hey - how you doin?

Ok let's jump into this.

Tuesday A senior couple, the Vandivers, came over and inspected our apartment. They were blown away by how clean it was. All they talked about was the state of the apartment when the elders in Caen were taken out and how they had left the apartment completely trashed and had left a dead fish. Pretty sure their mouths dropped open when they saw the work we put in to clean the apartment. 
After they left Walton and I went to the church to order train tickets and while we were there we got a call from the Vandivers saying they had some Putty stuff for eEder Walton, so we met up with them before they inspected the sÅ“urs apartment and they invited us out for lunch! They bought us all subway, which was so good because it's exactly the same as it is in the US. I got this delicious meatball sub, mhmm that was so good. Super nice of the Vandivers as well, grateful for their generosity. 
Later that day we brought some water to this old woman who always says she is too tired to see us - except when She needs more water. She answered the door in her bathrobe and had obviously been sleeping, but she was so happy to have her water and see us. I was carrying the water and when I brought it in she was so thankful. She started to thank me and was patting my shoulder and then slowly felt her way all the way across my chest. She did this two more times and I was so caught off guard; it took everything in me not to burst out laughing. She's super old, so I really didn't care, I just thought it was really funny. 

Wednesday Elder Walton and I went to cherbourg for an exchange, Elder Walton's last exchange there ever! We spent most of the day teaching lessons, which was a blessing for me. Wednesday was one of those days where you beat yourself up and think about all of the worst case scenarios. I was feeling pretty inadequate and started to have those terrible thoughts, such as: I'm never going to learn french, I shouldn't have this much responsibility, etc etc. I'm telling you this because I learned a few important lessons that day - one being, if you let doubt crowd your mind, then Satan will do all he can to replace your faith with doubt. I kept thinking about President Uchtdorfs quote, "doubt your doubts before you doubt your faith." I began to doubt my doubts and that entire day I had the opportunity to bear testimony of the divinity of this work. I thought of all of my sacred spiritual experiences, experiences that were undeniable and only possible through a loving father in heaven. A special spirit entered my heart and I realized how selfish and foolish I was being. God doesn't give us any challenge we can't overcome, he doesn't give us any weakness that we can't strengthen, and he most certainly doesn't leave us alone in time of need. Bearing my testimony of the power of the atonement of Jesus Christ reaffirmed what I knew and erased any doubts in my mind. Whether I feel inadequate, or the language feels like a hopeless pursuit, I know that I don't walk alone. Wednesday was a strong testimony builder for me. I learned that no matter what point you are at in your journey with the gospel, the plague of doubt can always find room, but if you are firmly rooted to the gospel and trust in him, who is our savior, he will make "weak things become strong." 
The rest of that exchange was very enjoyable for me and I'm grateful for the lesson I learned. 

My second lesson learned was on Thursday. One of the elders going home told me that he really looked up to me. I thought that was an interesting remark; one because he's older than me physically and two because he is also done with his mission very soon. I have been pondering on that remark for the entire week and it has really become a motivator for me. I realized that even if I'm feeling inadequate, there are people out there who might need to support themselves on my testimony. I don't say that in a prideful way, what I mean is that people, members or not, are always looking for answers to prayers, a little extra support, comfort, or just need With gospel questions or concerns. If I can be firm and strong in my testimony and always have the guiding companionship of the spirit where others can rely on me for support, then I will make sure I'm always qualified to help our heavenly fathers children. One of the main principles of the gospel is to serve others and I believe that if we are rooted to Jesus Christ and his gospel, then we can be a great aid to others even when we feel inadequate ourselves. The spirit doesn't care if you are young or old, new member or old. If you are worthy to be directed by it, then Heavenly father will enable you to help everyone you come in contact with. 

We returned to Caen, home sweet home. My new orthotics were ready, so we went to pick them up. My podiatrist is a really young athletic guy and he was talking to elder Walton about sports, while I'm standing on this jelly mold thing. Elder Walton asks him what sports he plays and he lists off: tennis, squash tennis, ping pong and basketball. Elder Walton mentions he has learned how to play ping pong and my doctor perks up and goes, "I'll take you on right now." So they stand up and leave. Eventually they came back, laughing and joking around and by the end of our visit the doctor tells us to call him if I have any problems or if we want to lose in ping pong again. Really nice guy and experience. 

Friday we had zone conference, which was President Babin's last zone conference! Elder Walton and I walked around Paris after the meeting and got a sweet picture in front of the Opera House. 


Only thing on Saturday was that we finally debunked one of Constantine's big question holding him back and ever since then he seems to be progressing. The question asked was why are good people born in bad families? We couldn't answer it directly but we used the plan of salvation to explain why and he said he was content with that answer. 

Yesterday, the reason I didn't write, was because Elder Walton's bishop was in France and took us out to Omaha beach, Pointe Du Hoc, and the Caen memorial museum. It was a really fun day and they even treated us to dinner at an ITALIAN restaurant - mhmm the food was excellent. It was so hot yesterday though, I got a tad bit sunburned. 

See you all next week and remember that you are always being observed by others and they may look to you for help and comfort; be the person who they can rely on. 





No comments