Powered by Blogger.

(no subject)

What's going on everyone!

This week, for the most part, wasn't very eventful - BUT, there were some highlights!

On Tuesday and Wednesday, Elder walton and I woke up, a little too early if I say so myself, and took a train to Cherbourg for our exchange with Elder Eggbert and Elder Leavitt. Cherbourg is a very cold coastal town where it rains everyday and not many people like hearing religious messages, especially from the Mormons because everyone thinks we are jehovah witnesses. Basically they needed a little Elder Molinari magic... ironically we didn't find any new investigators, but that's OK! My warm smiles and blank stares when they spoke planted a seed.

Thursday started off well - I cut my own hair. I'm not sure if I really need to say any more than that. You know when you try cutting your own hair around age 3 and it goes horribly? Well I don't remember ever trying that, so I decided to do it when I'm almost 19. It was so bad all you could do was laugh. I cut way too high and way too short, realized what I did and just laughed. Then I realized the seriousness of the situation and timidly walked downstairs, found my companion and asked if he could fix my mistake. He couldn't see what I had done until I turned around and then he saw, he laughed as well. THANKFULLY he isn't as bad as I am with cutting hair and he was able to make the rest of my hair blend in pretty well with my semi bald spot. After that adventure we went and taught an Ami named Constantine. He is a Russian man who has been living in France for 15 years. He has a wife, four children, and he gives tours to the Russian tourists in Caen. Recently he has been having a little trouble with work because France sanctioned Russians from coming to France and now he is out of work. To make things worse, he doesn't speak any french and very little English. He understands enough English to comprehend our lessons, but we have to speak very slow and can't use big words. I think he will be a great member. He is asking all of the right questions and is very interested in the plan of salvation, Christ's church today, his ministry, and about prophets. 

After Constantine we went and visited an old lady who cancelled our rendezvous with her but needed us to pick her up some water, so we went and gave her that. In return she awarded us with all of the bread in her house, which was all brioche, so no complaints over here. Afterwards we went to our amis house, Martihno, but we didn't have much time with him, so we just shared a quick spiritual message with him. That night we had a mangez-vous with a family from the ward, the Lefoyers. I had a great time there. Both of the parents love old music, the 60s, 70s, etc, so we got along great because I knew pretty much every singer and band from that era. They have three little kids, the oldest of which was baptized on Saturday. Dinner was excellent. We had pasta with potatoes and beef. They knew how to win my heart. They are such a fun family and every time the kids did something, Brother Lefoyer would tell me not to have kids. We just had a really good time. 

Friday Elder Walton and I walked around for the entire day trying to find better shoes and an athletic sleeve for me because my shinsplints were acting up the whole week. We found absolutely nothing, apparently people in France don't have leg problems. It's all good though, I got some ice packs! On Saturday the Lefoyer daughter was baptized and that was exciting!

Sunday was probably the best day of my mission so far. Church was nice, didn't understand anything, but I was able to take the sacrament and renew my baptismal covenants! After church though, Elder Walton and I were invited over to the Drouins home. They have three small children and live about 40 minutes away in a tiny little town, called Honfleur, in the countryside. Guillame, the father is a 3rd generation alcohol maker. He is not a member, but his wife was when she was younger. They decided they wanted their children to be raised with a good moral and religious background, so when they were thinking of church's, his wife Jessie, suggested the church she used to go to, which is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. So they've been coming to church for six months and have never invited missionaries over, until now. I'm sure you will be hearing more about them in the future. 
They live at the grandparents summer home, which is actually two complete houses, with three other larger garage like buildings. The property is enormous and so beautiful. It's by far the nicest place I've been on my mission thus far. They have a small apple orchard there, which is nothing compared to the 1500 trees they have in another orchard, a small garden where they grow corn, artichokes, rhubarb, and a bunch of other things. They have a bee house where they get their own honey, a chicken for eggs, and to top it all off a donkey. It's probably the nicest place I have ever been in my entire life, besides a temple. 

Of course their little 3 year old daughter developed a particular interest in me, for some reason, and was glad to entertain me the entire time we were there. She would eat half of something and then hand me the rest and stare at me until I ate it... what else could I do? Just hoping I don't get sick! I had no idea what she was saying to me the entire time, but it's ok because her parents have no idea what she says either. 
The meal was, mhmm, so so good. Jessie said it was a very french meal. We started out with some melon and then the main dish was Veal and rice with some citrus sauce. Yet again, the people of France knew how to win my heart. The meal was so delicious. Then we had cheese and bread afterwards. There were six cheeses and Guillaume told me I was obligated to try all of them. I tried the Roquefort first, which is a super strong cheese. They were impressed. Roquefort is basically complete blue cheese and wasn't the worst cheese I've tried but it was SUPER SALTY. I tried the rest, they were pretty mild, except one goat cheese that Guillaume told me tasted pretty mild. I had to stifle a gag when I ate that one. The only one I really had a problem with was a cheese that was completely gray from mold. That was some serious mind over matter stuff. It was actually super tasty though! For dessert we had strawberries with raspberry glâce. Pretty much everything I love, food wise, was served at this meal - besides the blocks of mold. It was just a really fun visit where we were able to talk and get to know them a lot better, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Before we had to catch our train home, they brought us down to the town. Honfleur wasn't touched at all by WWll, so it was authentic french buildings, absolutely breathtaking. I forgot to mention the property they live on is from about the 18th century. Sunday was super cool. 

A picture of Honfleur
Today Elder Walton, the two Sisters from Caen, and I went to see the basilica of Saint Thérèse. It was a spectacular basilica devoted to her. I don't know much about her or the basilica, so I'll include some of the information the pamphlet gave me. 
Constructed in 1929, it was blessed in 1937 and consecrated in 1954. It's walls and those of the Crypt are covered with mosaics that illustrate the message of Saint Thérèse. The relics of Saint Thérèse are placed under the dome and the relics of Saints Louis and Zélie Martin (her parents) are kept in the Crypt. 
It was a spectacular building, absolutely enormous.

That's all from me!

Elder Molinari

Pictures of the Bailica
 The front of the basilica







The back of the basilica

Inside the basilica
And then a few photos of Saint Peter's Cathedral from the 12th century


Inside the cathedral

No comments