Powered by Blogger.

Elder Molinari's Spiritual Thought

Bonjour Everyone,

This week I would like to try something a little different for my weekly letter. It will basically be a spiritual thought on a few experiences that I had during the week. If you prefer this to my other letters, tell me, I would love to know!

The first experience occurred during my exchange with the Zone Leaders. Elder Taylor and I switched companions for a day and I was with Elder Silva for the day. We taught a man named Eagle Zigzag, baked cookies for ward members, and contacted. What I want to write about is what Elder Silva told me at the end of our transfer. He told me one thing I can improve on and one thing I do well. 

The First was that I teach simply and to keep doing it.
The Second was that I shouldn't be so hard on myself and that I can't always be comparing myself to perfection because I will never match up. I need to compare myself to what I used to be and how I have improved.

I highly appreciated both comments. I've often wondered if I was ever teaching simply enough that someone with no gospel knowledge can understand; and to have someone tell me that I am was very comforting. We have been taught to teach as the Savior taught, which was simply, and I try to make that my goal when I teach others. I remember the time in my life when the names Nephi, Abinidi, Adam, Eve, etc made no sense to me. I wanted clarification, I wanted to learn about them in the simplest way possible, and If I can provide that simplicity to someone else who does not understand these gospel related terms, then how much more success will the investigator have if they are learning simply and truly becoming converted by the spirit. We as missionaries deliver the message, nothing more, the spirit is the one who testifies of the truths we share. The more simple you keep this wonderful Gospel, the more easily the spirit can testify of these truths. Stay simple with how we teach, so that others can understand. Focus on their needs and let the spirit guide you in what to say. 

The second piece of advice came at a crucial moment for me. I have constantly been feeling the guilt of not being good enough and feeling inadequate for the task that has been placed before me. In many ways I was comparing myself to perfection, without ever stopping to see how far I had come. My first reaction when I thought about this was that I am not allowed to slack off, but that I should be continually trying to improve myself in little ways. If I look back over the past five months, I have grown so much already. My language HAS progressed, my gospel knowledge and ability to teach HAS increased, my willingness to speak with others HAS increased, my love for the work HAS increased. I feel that in our lives we focus too much on what we haven't accomplished, rather than the many successes we have accomplished. I set my goals this week and I plan to work towards them. I created the goals and the plans on how to achieve these goals. 

They are two simple goals,
1. Speak and comprehend french naturally by my 6th transfer.
2. Become a more consecrated missionary

My goals are not impossible to achieve, but they do push me to become better and improve. How do we improve though? We improve through our Savior Jesus Christ and through his Atonement for us. We improve by having a daily accountability with ourselves and with him, looking back over our day and deciding what we could have done better. We repent and ask for the strength we need to improve and become more like him. He was the only perfect being to live on the earth. 
He said to us "What manner of men ought ye to be?... Even as I am."
He is the perfection we all strive for and can one day achieve. It will not happen in this life and that is fine, but as we draw closer to him and remember him in all we do, then will we become more like him. We also improve through our diligence in obeying the commandments of the Lord. If we follow the path he has laid for us, he will shower down blessings upon us.

My last thought came yesterday. It was a fast Sunday, abstaining from food for 24 hours, and I will share with you one of the things I fasted for. I fasted to be able to understand and speak french to a greater ability through my diligence and obedience. A miracle transpired. During church yesterday, I seemed to understand most of what was being said. I didn't get all of it, there was much I struggled with, but I understood so much more than I usually do. It is hard to describe because I understood the French as French. There was no translation going on in my head, I just knew what the words were and how to properly reply. I felt, for once, in my four months here in France, that I got something out of church. How was this possible? 

I think of the scripture Matthew 17:21

"Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting."

Fasting and prayer are powerful when we use them together. Truly this experience was nothing short of a miracle and I am grateful for it. I haven't been the most diligent missionary I could be, but for what I have done, the Lord saw fit to bless me with this increased ability to comprehend. 

This gospel is wonderful. It is simple and beautiful and brings joy into our lives. The Lord asks us to "come unto him" and he will give us rest. He offers us peace, happiness, and so much more. How grateful I am to be a witness and messenger of this gospel. I know that Jesus is the Christ and that he lives. He atoned for all of our sins so that we may return to live with him and his father again and partake in the eternal joy they offer us. As we repent and become better people through Christ, we will become as he is. I love this work, I love this Gospel. 

Elder Molinari

No comments